Sunday, August 4, 2019

Aug 2 - Leaving Kansas, and entering Colorado.

  We are not in Kansas anymore, Toto!  We entered Colorado, although western Kansas and eastern Colorado look pretty similar.  Thoughts on the Kansas countryside, as I was driving through it:

  • Most folks say the only thing to do in Kansas is to just drive through it.  I found that I really liked the landscape.
  • The colors of the fields were beautiful--dark greens, and golden, as far as the eye could see.
  • It is the only place I have been where I can see all the way to the distant horizon, 180 degrees.
  • And, the entire landscape is all farmers fields, with some cattle grazing in places.
  • And, there were NO houses anywhere in that entire vista.  I have never been where I couldn't see a house somewhere in the horizon.
  • I could see a distant tall white building, and said, "Oh, there's the financial building in some nearby downtown".  But, it turned out to be tall white silos.  I guess that is the financial building for those farmers.
  • Since there are not a lot of people in Kansas, there is not a lot of traffic on the roads.
  • I finally figured out that in this part of Kansas, they use the long irrigation systems, and that they actually make the crop circles that I see from the airplanes.  In the east, those systems make rectangular fields.
We have stopped, just for the night, half-way to Denver, at this SMALL town, called Seibert.  The RV park is just a block in a neighborhood.  But, it has laundry facilities, so I did the laundry.  
  Today's challenge:  we are having problems with our grey tank not emptying completely.  It appears to be blocked, a bit.  So, we went online, to that "encyclopedia in the sky" and saw on an RV YouTube video, that we can put some liquid dishwasher soap down it, and travel to the next campground.  The shaking and the de-greaser in the soap should clean out the tank, when we empty at the next campground.  We'll see.
  So, we went a few blocks down the road, to the local grocery store.  Very minimal, but it had what we needed.  This center of town is two blocks long, ending in the central large silo for the area.  But across the street from the grocery store, is a full block of abandoned, old downtown buildings.  It felt like we were in a movie scene.  This is not a town I would like to live in.

Seibert photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment