Thursday, April 25, 2019

Apr 25 - Sight-seeing in Washington, DC

  We drove 1.5 hours to the Metro in Maryland, and then took it into Washington, DC.  Peter and I separated, each going our separate ways.  He was off to the DAR Museum and then to a meeting with some folks regarding his Lafayette project.  I went to the Smithsonian Natural History museum.
  I was really impressed with the exhibits.  Not so impressed with the crowds and noisy kids.  There was an amazing wildlife photography, Audubon prize winners exhibit.  Some really beautiful shots and videos, from all over the world.  Then the exhibits about the earth, planets, solar system, along with volcanoes, earthquakes, hot spots, and plate tectonics were extremely informative and very well done.  The whole museum uses a lot of technology to explain and show the exhibits.  Then, there was the very large geology exhibits --which had amazing displays of minerals, crystals, rocks, simulated mines, etc.  I said--THIS IS WHAT CLAIRE WOULD LOVE TO PUT TOGETHER!
  There were many other types of exhibits, and I spent 4 hours there.  Then, I needed to sit down, and be outside.  So I went out to the park in front of the museum and sat and people-watched for awhile.  But, I still had a few hours until I was to meet up with Peter, and the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial were just down the park aways, and I couldn't visit DC and see them in the distance, without going to see them up close.  So, I walked the mile or so over to view them.  Always impressive.  The WWII Memorial is also in between them.
  Met up with Peter, walked back to the Metro, rode to the end of the green line in Maryland, and took the car "home".  A long day, but good.  I enjoyed myself, but realize I am NOT a big city girl.  Give me Mother Nature anytime.

Smithsonian Natural History museum photos:



WW II Memorial photo:

Washington Monument photos:

Lincoln Memorial photos:


No comments:

Post a Comment