Sunday, March 10, 2019

Mar 9 - Evie's birthday, New Orleans French Quarter

  We drove over to our next site in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, which is close to New Orleans.  On the trip over, I realized that the terrain has changed significantly from the Florida one.  Seems more like home--deciduous trees and pines, not as much swampy areas, open fields etc.  Also, it is spring here--azaleas blooming and leaves on the trees all green.
  This RV site has a much nicer ambiance, but is still an RV parking lot.  Oh well. 
  So we drove into New Orleans, the French quarter.  Neither Peter nor I have ever been in New Orleans.  The French quarter is an experience.  I can now say "been there, done that".  Bourbon street is very noisy, with lots of drinking and very loud music.  Not my style.  The next street over, Royal Street, was nicer--lots of art galleries, not as loud music, and not as many drunks.  Then we walked over to the French Market area, which I liked a little better.  Each restaurant or bar had live music.  Some jazz, some just very loud.  We found a bar with a really great jazz/blues band, and had a beer, standing up and listening.  Along the street, there was a woman with an old typewriter, selling "prose made up on the spot".  I believe Peter posted about that.
  Many of the restaurants had long wait times, so we ended up at a really nice Mexican restaurant, and ate outside.  Other than when I was in the Peace Corp in South America, I have never been able to eat outside on my birthday.  Walking back to the car, we stopped for desert--I got my birthday chocolate brownie (no cake).
  Interesting day.  But I think I have now "experienced" the French quarter.

French Quarter photos:









No comments:

Post a Comment