Sunday, October 25, 2020

Oct 23 - 25, Zoom with Shilah & Serena, Lafayette trail

   I had a WONDERFUL Zoom call with Shilah and Serena on Friday evening.  I had realized that I never really get to chat with them, even on our family Zoom calls, so I asked if they wanted/would be willing to have a call with just us.  We did, and it was GREAT.  We actually talked for 1-1/4 hours!  They are very interesting and active young ladies.  I think I would love to do this with all the grandkids, one at a time.  You learn a lot more about them that way.

Since I finally got a working DVD drive in our computers, I finally got a chance to watch Shilah's Dance recital DVD's of Marry Poppins and The Nutcracker ballet.  I was VERY impressed.  While the ballet was very nice, I was more attracted to the dancing style in Mary Poppins.  She is a natural.  I'm sure she gets her love of dancing from MY side of the family!

  Today we went to Bolton, MA, to a mansion built in the 1700's, on a highest ridge between the western mountains and Boston.  In 1824 it was owned by a Mr. Wilder, who was an international merchant.  It was a 600 acre farm and orchard, with a beautiful view.  During that time, General Lafayette stayed there on his farewell tour around the States, on his way to Boston.  Our young French friend, Julian Icher, has created a Lafayette Trail website, and has visited all of the places Lafayette went on his 2 year tour.  He is working with various places to erect "Lafayette was here" landmarks, all along the trail.  Today was an unveiling of one landmark at the Wilder mansion.  The current owners of the house are history buffs and were willing to have it put up.  It was nice to visit with some of the Lafayette Society friends we have made over the years of Peter's involvement.  

  We took a longer route home, along the Wachusetts Dam, erected in the early 1900's, creating a huge water reservoir.  We ate our picnic lunches overlooking the lake.  Since it was a cool day, we didn't hang out for too long.

Wilder mansion & Lafayette Landmark photos:






Wachusetts Dam photos:




No comments:

Post a Comment