Monday, July 29, 2019

July 29 - Kanopolis State Park, Marquette, KS

  We drove over to the northern shore of the Kanopolis Lake, where the other campgrounds are located.  Walked a "wildlife viewing" loop around a "prairie pothole" pond.  A lot of the campgrounds near the lake were closed due to high water damage earlier in the year.
  Then we drove over to Mushroom Rock State Park.  There were really neat rock formations out in the middle of nowhere.  The 5 acres they are on were donated to the State and made into a little park.
Came back to the RV.  Other than the camp host, we are the only other campers in our loop.  Nice and quiet.  I drove over to the "Caving Banks" campground, which is a meadow overlooking the lake, whose soft banks are all caving in.  I found a wonderful shady area under a tree, set up my camp chair, and enjoyed the view and the breeze.  I listened to two interesting technology Ted Talks, and just read for a while.
   When I returned, I tried to go online and get the instructions for how to make the Squash Origami books that Jeanne Boetig teaches how to make.  But I had difficulty.  Then I found and input the next campground address into the RV, along with a grocery store on route.  We are really low on food.
Went into the nearby town of Lindsborg.  Interesting predominately Swedish town.  Home of the Anatoly Karpov's (World Chess Champion) first US Chess School.  Why in Lindsborg, Kansas, of all places, we weren't able to find out.  Had dinner at a good local Bar & Grill.

Kanopolis State Park wildlife viewing loop photos:

Mushroom Rock State Park photos:










Afternoon at Caving banks overlook photos:

Lindsborg photo:

3 comments:

  1. Lindsborg is very Swedish. They have an annual festival and if there is a Swedish family at Fort Leavenworth, they get invited to be the grand marshal. I have no clue as to why there is a chess school there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your Forbes article. I have same photo from Newport, OR. In 1996 I drove from Boston to Newport on US 20. Trip of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it got a little iffy when you were going through the Rockies. I dreamed of going across on 20 but Evie favors the interstates. Did a lot of the trip on 20 when I went across with my son in 2010

      Delete