Wednesday, June 23, 2021

June 17 & June 18 -- home again

   While I was driving the RV home, I noticed that the front windshield was cracked in the bottom right corner.  And, the crack was growing longer.  So, when we got home, I called the insurance company, and found out that my RV insurance covers glass replacement, with a $125 deductible.  And, the glass company comes out to the house to do the replacement.  So, they came out today.  The front windshield in an RV is BIG, and I ended up standing there watching them as they removed and reinstalled the glass.  I learned a lot --about how they do it, how glass is fixed into place in the first place, that all Mercedes Sprinter windshields of that model have built into them the connections for the camera and the rain sensor, and how to remove the windshield wipers.  All very interesting.  

   Unfortunately, while standing in front of the RV looking at it, I noticed that the driver's side headlight plastic cover was cracked.  I asked the glass guy if they replace those, and they said definitely not.  That is the Mercedes dealer, and that you don't just pop the plastic cover off and replace it with a new one, you have to dismantle the whole thing (whatever that entails).  So, a call to Merecedes and another call to the insurance company.  The Mercedes dealer said $2,100 to replace it, and the insurance company said I had another $125 deductible on my collision policy.  So, now I am waiting for the insurance adjuster to come look at it before having it fixed.  Yuck.

Removing and replacing the RV windshield photos:





No comments:

Post a Comment