Tuesday, May 18, 2021

May 1 - May 15, more around home

    On Sunday, May 2nd, we explored a new-to-us trail --the Mass Central Rail Trail.  This is a very nice easy walking trail, that was converted from the old railroad tracks.  This portion of the trail followed a nice stream through the woods.  A very nice 2 mile hike, on a beautiful day.

   On May 3rd, we drove the RV from Tamara's to a nearby Campers Inn shop to have the RV cabin dewinterized and have all of the systems checked out (water, generator, the seals, the filters, the electric, the propane, the inverter, etc).  Getting it ready for the road again.  It felt good to be driving it again, even if it was for only a few miles.

   May 3rd was also Aaron's birthday, so we had a very nice birthday Zoom call, and watched him open his present from us--a set of 6 ties, since he is now wearing them on the days he goes into the office.  Happy Birthday Aaron.

   On May 6th, I FINALLY finished the 2nd jig saw puzzle Lois & Ken sent me --an underwater fish scene.  Definitely challenging and fun, but it certainly was "slow and not-so-easy wins the race".

   May 7th was a Zoom game night with Anica, Aaron, Quinn Peter and I.  We had the Zoom call on one screen, and the Board Games app on the 2nd screen.  Fun games and a fun way to spend time with the family.  Even if it is embarrassing that Quinn can beat us at some of these games.  

  May 8th was Cheyenne's birthday, so I went for a morning birthday celebration visit.  Now that I am vaccinated, I felt comfortable going in the house.  We had a morning Whole Foods yummy chocolatey birthday cake and opened presents.  Then Cheyenne had to go to gymnastics, and then to her socially distanced birthday party.  

   May 8th was also David and Lisa's 13th wedding anniversary, so they had a all afternoon Zoom call, where folks could pop in and out.  Plus, they also had the option of signing up for a 15 minute slot, where you know you would be chatting with them, and just a few others might chime in.  It was a good way to celebrate at a distance, with a lot of folks, and still be able to connect.  

   On May 11th, we had our annual  condo association meeting, which was cancelled last year due to Covid, but was in person this year.  Always interesting to see the politics and differences that go on in a meeting about finances and condo maintenance issues.  Reminds me in some ways of the old Sirius core group meetings.  I would volunteer to be on the board, but you need to be an actual owner of the condo, and, sigh, Peter is.  Oh well, I guess I will miss out on those meetings!

  On May 12th I babysat for Tamara's kids, all day, starting at 8am.  Since it is an hour and 1/4 drive there, I actually had to get up EARLY.  I did it, even though I am a retired person.  It was both great and challenging to spend the day with 3 kids.  I don't know how mothers do it.  By 3:30pm when Tamara came home, I was exhausted.  Did I really have 5 kids?  Cheyenne was home, though in remote schooling until 11am. so she really helped.  But, it was the first time I have been alone with Siena, who finally decided I was OK, and started smiling, laughing and having a good time.  Savannah really helped with that also.  

   May 15th-- THE FIRST TIME IN OVER A YEAR that I got to spend time, INSIDE, with no masks on with Anica's family and Claire.  They came for a nice walk to the neighboring pond, and dinner.  It felt almost normal again.  

   Claire had a special even to celebrate -- she "officially" graduated from UMASS with her PhD.  She actually graduated last January, but they only have one graduation ceremony in May.  Claire didn't actually go to the ceremony, but did get the cap, gown, and PhD collar.  

Mass Central Rail Trail hike photos:





Jig saw puzzle finished photo:


Cheyenne's Birthday photos:






Babysitting Day at Tamara's photos:





Home visit with Anica's family - finally, photos:



Claire graduation photos:






1 comment:

  1. Quick correction: I officially earned my degree last September, not January, but yes, any degree earned for the summer (like I did), fall, or spring is all graduated in May.

    ReplyDelete